query about fundamentalism

Eric Hoenes ehoenes at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 16 13:55:22 UTC 2011

Hi Elizabeth,

The current issue of Anthropological Quarterly (84:3 Spring 2011) features a set of articles that I helped put together treating issues of language ideology and Christianity. They include several pieces about Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity as well as one of what could be termed 'fundamentalist' Christianity, plus an introduction that gives and overview of how anthropologists have used ideas from linguistic anthropology to examine Christianity in global perspective.

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/anthropological_quarterly/toc/anq.84.3.html

The articles include:
"Introduction: Beyond Logos: Extensions of the Language Ideology Paradigm in the Study of Global Christianity(-ies)"
Jon Bialecki and Eric Hoenes

"Towards an Ideology of Gesture: Gesture, Body Movement, and Language Ideology Among Q'eqchi'-Maya Catholics"
Eric Hoenes

"'How Much of this is Promise?': God as Sincere Speaker in Evangelical Bible Reading"
James Bielo

"Israelite Genealogies and Christian Commitment: The Limits of Language Ideologies in Guhu-Samane Christianity"
Courtney Handman

"No Caller ID for the Soul: Demonization, Charisms, and the Unstable Subject of Protestant Language Ideology"
Jon Bialecki

"The Semiotics of Relevance: Campaigning for the Bible in Greater Manchester"
Matthew Engelke

I hope you find these articles interesting.

Dr. Eric Hoenes del Pinal
Dept of Anthropology
UNC Charlotte