Hating one's own speech

Eric Henry Eric.Henry at SMU.CA
Thu May 16 19:10:33 UTC 2013

A student asked me for some resources today on "people who hate how they speak." It got me thinking about the devaluation of nonstandard dialects or accents by standardizing language ideologies, and how they are adopted and reproduced even by the speakers themselves.

A lot of the cases that came to mind though are more ambivalent than negative - that is, while the speakers may perceive their own speech to be problematic (especially in official or institutional interactions), they still maintain positive social value in other domains (the domestic or local sphere). I'm trying to think of any research on situations where speakers aesthetically stigmatize their own speech across the full range of interactional contexts. Any thoughts? Feel free to reply on or off list.

Thanks,
Eric Henry