Hating one's own speech

Jim Wilce Jim.Wilce at NAU.EDU
Sat May 18 09:16:30 UTC 2013

If "hate" is too strong a word, "shame" is not. Bonner 2001 and
McEwan-Fujita are among those who have documented language shame. It
seems to me a crucial concept (along with pride!) in relation to studies
of language shift and revitalization (McEwan-Fujita 2010). It's worth
looking at classic work on shame by Elias, Scheff, Lynd, Giddens,
Honneth, etc. See also my attempt to theorize language and shame/
language shame in /Language and Emotion/ (e.g., pp. 116-118), and shame
more generally in /Crying Shame/ (2009, especially chapter 7).

Bonner, Donna M.
2001 Garifuna Children's Language Shame : Ethnic Stereotypes, National
Affiliation, and Transnational Immigration as Factors in Language Choice
in Southern Belize. Language in Society 30(1):81-96.
Elias, Norbert
2000 (1939) The Civilizing Process. Oxford, Malden: Blackwell.
Giddens, Anthony
1991 Modernity and Self-Identity. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
Honneth, Axel
1995 The Fragmented World of the Social: Essays in Social and Political
Philosophy Albany: State University of New York Press.
Lynd, Helen Merrell
1966 [1958] On Shame and the Search for Identity. New York: Science
Editions.
McEwan-Fujita, Emily
2010 Ideology, affect, and socialization in language shift and
revitalization: The experiences of adults learning Gaelic in the Western
Isles of Scotland. Language in Society 39(1):27–64.
Scheff, Thomas
2000 Shame and the Social Bond: A Sociological Theory. Sociological
Theory 18(1):84-98.
Wilce, James M.
2009a Crying Shame: Metaculture, Modernity, and the Exaggerated Death of
Lament.
Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishers.
2009b Language and Emotion. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Jim Wilce

--
Jim Wilce, Professor of Anthropology
Northern Arizona University