Language and Social Justice Committee mtg at AAA

Adrienne Lo adr at ILLINOIS.EDU
Tue Nov 19 05:11:49 UTC 2013

The Committee for Human Rights Task Group/ Society for Linguistic
Anthropology Committee on Language and Social Justice will hold its annual
mtg on Thursday (Nov 21) from 12:15pm-1:30pm in the Joliet Room at the
Hilton. Please note that this meeting time is different from the time
listed in the printed program book.

Our group has in the past worked with the Census Bureau on terminology
(replacing the term "linguistically isolated household"); made public
statements on the the term "illegal immigrant"; and been active in
organizing panels at AAA on the interface between anthropologists and the
media. We welcome anyone who has an interest in public engagement to come
and join us.

Because the meeting will take place during lunch, we are offering the
option of picking something up for you from the lunches being sold in the
lobby and bringing them to the meeting room. We would then collect money
from you at the meeting. If you are interested, please fill out this Doodle
Poll with your lunch choice: http://doodle.com/qcad88f79hvnttcb

We hope to see you on Thursday!

Sincerely,
Jonathan and Adrienne