No subject

E. Summerson Carr esc at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat Oct 19 18:06:31 UTC 2013

Alejandro,

On free speech, check out Elise Kramer's work.  Here is a nice preview of it on the Wenner Gren blog: http://blog.wennergren.org/2012/04/interview-with-elise-kramer-on-mutual-minorityhood/.

I'm also including a link to a forthcoming paper I wrote with my student, Yvonne Smith, focused on a highly stylized use of silence in an American psychotherapy I've been studying for some time. (Tried to attach it earlier to no avail). The paper, itself, is directed primarily to medical anthropologists, but the brief lit review may nevertheless prove helpful.  In addition to citing the work of Basso, Gal, Bauman, and Tannen's edited volume (which includes papers by Norma Mendoza-Denton and Sue Philips), you'll find reference to Greg Matoesian's fantastic stuff on silence in rape trials. Also note T.S. Harvey's book on silence in Mayan medical encounters, which I discovered recently.

http://ssascholars.uchicago.edu/sites/default/files/e-carr/files/practice_poetics_pre-copy_edit_cmp.pdf

The paper has yet to be copy-edited, so please forgive the rough edges.  It should be out in the March issue of Culture, Medicine, and Psychiatry.

All best,

Summerson

E. Summerson Carr
Associate Professor