more useful information about AAA 2014

Judy Pine Judy.Pine at WWU.EDU
Sun Feb 9 00:00:19 UTC 2014

Hello, all!  I've just had email from the AAA Program Editors, and wanted to pass along some information which they have shared with the Program Committee Chairs.  Of special interest - the Executive Sessions are NOT a new version of Invited Sessions.  Instead, we will have Executive Sessions (Feb 15 deadline) and then all other sessions (April 15 deadline) from which sessions the Program Committee will select both the Invited Sessions and the accepted Volunteered Sessions which don't have Invited status.  (Here I want to plug Program Committee work as a very interesting volunteer opportunity!  I have got a truly excellent set of volunteers at this point, but a few more would not hurt anything!)

Note that we are encouraged to "color outside the lines", something we linganth folk are pretty good at, IMHO!  An article encouraging creativity in proposals can be found at: http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2014/02/06/coloring-outside-the-lines/ .  I encourage you to consider unlikely or unusual combinations as you develop proposals for panels, and I hope that we will have a space online to connect with one another soon.  This list remains a good location for outreach, of course!

Executive Session proposals are due February 15th, don't forget!  I will be in Asia from Feb 11-18th, but I will have good internet connections most of that time and intend to keep nagging you all at least a couple more times!

-          Judy Pine, SLA Program Committee Chair

The AAA Program Editors have provided some useful links and suggestions, which I will forward to you as written:

+++++++++++++

As you know, some of the program format changed (or became officially changed) this year. You can read through the entire run down of changes here: http://aaanet.org/meetings/New-Program-Changes.cfm

The 3 big ones I wanted to underscore:

1) All session proposals, other than those submitted for EPC status by Feb 15, are due April 15. You all will decide, from among all the submissions in front of you after April 15, which sessions you'd like to crown with "Invited Session" status for your Section.

2) members can now propose chairing or organizing as many sessions as they'd like to submit without knocking them out of the running for a seat on a panel or discussant participation.

3) multi-part sessions (formerly double sessions) will now be evaluated on their own merit and scheduled as separate, but coordinated events. This means that you can tell us what you want to include (and what you don't) without tanking the rest of the proposed session. This will also make it possible for us to schedule multi-part sessions at different times/days so that the conversation doesn't happen in one, long multi-hour mega session.

++++++ end of quoted material

Judith M.S. Pine
Assistant Professor, Anthropology
Western Washington University