New Book Announcement: We Do Language: English Language Variation in the Secondary English Classroom

Christine Mallinson mallinson at UMBC.EDU
Fri Feb 21 14:28:27 UTC 2014

Dear LingAnth Colleagues:

With apologies for any cross-postings:

Many of you are involved in K-12 language and education efforts, and to
that end I'd like to announce the release of my new book with Anne H.
Charity Hudley, *We Do Language: English Language Variation in the
Secondary English Classroom**,* now available from Teachers College Press.
With a foreword by Jacqueline Jones Royster and endorsements by Shirley
Brice Heath and Donna Ford, we are especially happy to have so many
excellent educators and linguists support our efforts. In addition, the
book features 20 vignettes by sociolinguists and in-service K-12 educators
who report on how they have applied sociolinguistic concepts and materials
to their own teaching.

The book is available on Kindle for around $17 and in paperback for around
$30 on Amazon.com http://amzn.to/1ejWpmQ, Barnes & Noble
http://bit.ly/1ax88hr, and through Teachers College Press
http://bit.ly/17tKEZg. Examination copies are also able to be requested
online through TCP: http://www.teacherscollegepress.com/form1.html

*We Do Language*, a follow-up text to our first book (*Understanding
English Language Variation in U.S. Schools*), examines the need to
integrate linguistically informed teaching into the secondary English
classroom. The book meets three critical goals for preparing English
educators to ensure the academic success of their students. First, the book
helps educators acquire a greater knowledge of language variation so they
may teach their students to analyze the social, cultural, and linguistic
dimensions of the texts they read in class. Second, the chapters provide
specific information about language varieties that students bring with them
to school so that educators can better assist students in developing the
literacy skills necessary for the Common Core State Standards. Third, the
text empowers educators to build their linguistic awareness so they may
more fully understand, respect, and meet the needs of culturally and
linguistically diverse students. Our book features concrete strategies,
models, and vignettes, as well as classroom materials developed by English
educators for English educators.

Drafts of our book have successfully been used in graduate and
undergraduate classes as diverse as: African American English, American
English, Dialectology, Assessment and Evaluation of Reading and Language
Development, Counselor Education for Diverse Populations, Language
Attitudes, Language in Diverse Schools and Communities, Language in
Society, and Language Variation and Education. If you would like advance
information about the book for course planning/preparation, please let us
know.

We also have a book website http://charityhudleymallinson.com/wdl and a
book Facebook page http://facebook.com/WeDoLanguage, so we hope to see you
online as well.

Sincerely,
Christine

Title: *We Do Language: English Language Variation in the Secondary English
Classroom*
Authors: Anne H. Charity Hudley & Christine Mallinson
Publisher: Teachers College Press
Published: 2013 (available now)
ISBN: 0807754986
Book URL: http://store.tcpress.com/0807754986.shtml
Author Website:

*http://charityhudleymallinson.com <http://charityhudleymallinson.com>*---

Christine Mallinson, PhD <http://christinemallinson.com/> / Associate
Professor, UMBC
Language, Literacy & Culture Program / Department of Gender & Women's
Studies
Data Collection in Sociolinguistics: Methods and
Applications<http://amzn.to/VuMTnv>
Understanding English Language Variation in U.S. Schools<http://amzn.to/cmfuXJ>
We Do Language: English Language Variation in the Secondary English
Classroom <http://charityhudleymallinson.com/wdl/>