CFP AAA Panel: Chronotopes in Action

Katy Hardy khardy at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Fri Mar 21 18:43:40 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I am co-organizing a panel on scalemaking and chronotopes for the annual
meeting of the AAA in December 2014. We welcome papers that are concerned
with any aspects of spatial and temporal scalemaking. Our preliminary
abstract is below, and we will be accepting submissions until April 5.
Thanks very much for submissions and for sharing this CFP.

Best,

Katy Hardy

*Scalemaking, scalebreaking: Ethnographies of Chronotopes in Action*

How do social happenings get linked to more and less encompassing social
space, or mobilized to animate visions of the future or the past? How do
these social happenings reflexively index their own scope and duration?
And, finally, how do these indexical processes become the sites of social
contestation and differentiation, wherein political or cultural projects
compete to designate the relevant scale of an interaction or a mediatized
object? This panel will explore temporal and spatial scale-making as
activities that occur through meaningful social action. Spatial
scale-making could include the processes through which localizable acts (of
consumption, movement, speech) reflexively index imagined mass publics (of
class, ethnicity, nation). Similarly, temporal scale-making could comprise
the figuring of events, places, or people as emblematic of imagined pasts
or futures: the contradistinction between the 'backward' and the 'modern,'
for instance. In particular, we are interested in how spatial *and *temporal
categories are co-constituted. We hope for the panel to reflect a diversity
of sites and topics.

Professor Asif Agha (University of Pennsylvania) will serve as discussant.

Deadline for Title and Abstract: April 5th

Send submissions to k <thea.riofrancos at gmail.com>hardy at sas.upenn.edu

--
Kathryn C. Hardy
Ph. D. Candidate