[Linganth] gender, twitter, and hashtags

Dick, Hilary dickh at arcadia.edu
Sat Feb 14 13:54:04 UTC 2015

Hi, everyone--

Liz, I highly recommend a fabulous new article by Yarimar Bonilla and
Jonathan Rosa on the use of hashtags during the protests of police
brutality in Ferguson, called--"#Ferguson: Digital protest, hashtag
ethnography, and the racial politics of social media in the United States."

It's is in the new volume of American Ethnologist and is open source for
the next several months; here's a link--
http://americanethnologist.org/2014/anthropology-ferguson-missouri/

The article focuses on race, not gender, but I certainly think the
analytical framework the author's develop would be of use for your student.

Best,
Hilary

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 5:31 PM, Liz Crocker <lcrocker at bu.edu> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a student doing a MA project analyzing the ways that Twitter
> hashtags shape narratives and expressions, experiences, and frames of
> gender. She's looking specifically at #gamergate and the discussions of
> gender and animosity towards feminists.
>
> I am look trying to help her find revenant literature. I can suggest all
> the classic gender and language stuff but I was wondering if anyone knew of
> anything more specifically related to gender expressions online with
> relatively recent technology platforms. Most of what we've found looks at
> pretty outdated platforms and the ways people utilize them seem somewhat
> different.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Liz Crocker

HILARY PARSONS DICK, PhD
Assistant Professor of International Studies
Department of Historical and Political Studies
* Arcadia University*
<http://www.arcadia.edu/faculty/hilary-parsons-dick/>
<dickh at arcadia.edu>