[Linganth] It turns out that Jane Hill is white(!)

galey modan gmodan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 15:15:06 UTC 2015

It's not just a question of reaching out 'beyond the academy', though --
this story was instigated by a college student -- one who didn't think
there was anything strange about complaining about book titles of books she
hadn't read for a course she didn't take. And there is a larger, more
general problem when a major news network thinks it reasonable to cook up a
story about book titles in which the actual content of the books is deemed
too irrelevant to address. Not sure what it would take to instigate the
monumental cultural shift in attitudes towards the academy that would be
needed for such stories to be universally deemed ridiculous.

Galey