[Linganth] Using library repositories as archives for linguistic data

s.t. bischoff bischoff.st at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 11:56:55 UTC 2015

You may find Chang 2010
<http://www.gial.edu/documents/theses/Chang_Debbie-thesis.pdf> of interest
and help. It is a master thesis supervised Gary Simons by Debbie Chang that
covers some of the basic for anyone looking for a digital depository or
archive and many of the issues that have come up. Also UT Austin developed an
archive <http://www.ailla.utexas.org/site/welcome.html>that is quite
interesting and the person managing it through their library, Susan Kung,
is very nice and extremely knowledgeable. She has had to deal with all of
the issues in this thread and then some. You may want to drop her a note
(her contact information is on the "people" page). The one thing that I
didn't see on the thread, I may have missed it, is that even if you deposit
things digitally, with the rate of technological change and the costs of
maintaining and updating servers, software, security, etc. you may want to
be sure hard copies are also archived securely in multiple locations as
there is no guarantee of digital longevity. Also, if your library is using
an off campus cloud service you may want to find out more about security
and longevity commitments and various vulnerabilities that come with such
services.

Regards,
Shannon