[Linganth] Urban/Ling Anth AAA panel

Gaudio, Rudolf Rudolf.Gaudio at purchase.edu
Mon Mar 2 03:14:30 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,

For the AAA meetings in Denver we are putting a together a panel with the working title, URBAN ASPIRATIONS: LANGUAGE, INFRASTRUCTURE & THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT. We're looking for papers that examine how cities are constructed, literally and metaphorically, to enable and disable particular practices in the pursuit of practical and symbolic goals (modernity, nationhood, prosperity, etc.). We envision a coherent set of papers that bridge linguistic and urban anthropology by treating the city as both material and discursive, and that demonstrate how these processes are mutually constitutive.

Please send expressions of interest individually (not reply-all) to the addresses below. Thank you.

- Galey Modan & Rudi Gaudio

Gabriella Modan
The Ohio State University
modan.1 at osu.edu

Rudolf Gaudio
Purchase College, State University of New York
rudolf.gaudio at purchase.edu