[Linganth] AAA Program for Guest Registration--SLA nominees due March 27

Paul Kroskrity paulvk at ucla.edu
Thu Mar 19 16:44:10 UTC 2015

Dear SLA Members,

I am writing to convey information about a program with an approaching deadline that would allow you to bring in one
Guest Participant into a session or an event that you are organizing.  The Deadline for my submitting the application of the one individual allocated to SLA is April 1 which means that we would need your complete application to me by March 27.

Below I provide several pertinent bits of information:

What is the Section Assembly Guest Registration Program?

Each year, in an effort to draw international and community‐based participants to the AAA Annual Meetings
and increase AAA members' access to these participants' expertise, the AAA Executive Board and Executive
Program Committee make Annual Meeting guest registrations available to all 40 Sections of the Section
Assembly (SA). These Meeting Guest Registrations allow each Section to support the participation of a
qualified individual to participate in a Section‐sponsored event or Invited Session who might otherwise not
attend the AAA Annual Meetings. The AAA waives both registration and membership for the approved
qualifying participant. Sections and individual qualifying participant are responsible for all other Meetingassociated
costs.

Who counts as a “qualified participant” for this Meeting Guest Registration Program?

Qualifying participant are: 1) individuals, regardless of academic degree, who bring a perspective to
meetings valued by the nominating Section and 2) individuals asked to participate in a proposed event or
Invited Session sponsored by your Section. Qualifying participants may be employed outside the United
States or Canada as practicing or university‐based anthropologists in any of the discipline's four main
subfields (archaeology, sociocultural, biological, linguistic) but they cannot be employed as practicing or
university‐based anthropologists in the United States or Canada. Qualifying participants need not be current AAA
 members.

Since each section receives only one guest registration on a “use it or lose it” basis, only sections that have filed their annual reports are allowed to request these guest registrations.  Fortunately SLA has filed its report and is in a position to receive at lest one guest registration and possibly an additional one if other sections fail to use their allocation.

I will accept a preliminary application to me (email address below), from an existing SLA member, consisting of the following information:

The first and last names of the proposed guest.  His/her:  1) affiliation, 2) complete postal address, 3) email, 4) name of the section-organized invited session and a brief description of it, 5.) statement about why a registration waiver is appropriate in this case.

The SLA Executive Board will evaluate nominations for guest status that I receive by March 27.  Incomplete nominations will not be considered.

All the best,

Paul

Paul V. Kroskrity
President, Society for Linguistic Anthropology
Professor of Anthropology
Chair, American Indian Studies
Department of Anthropology
341 Haines Hall  -   Box 951553