[Linganth] AAA panel on interactional approaches to language documentation

nick williams nicholas.j.williams at colorado.edu
Fri Mar 20 20:41:26 UTC 2015

We would like to organize a panel on interactional approaches to language
documentation for the upcoming AAA conference in Denver. In recent years
there has been an increase in making recordings of everyday conversations a
key component of language documentation projects. We see many benefits to
this approach. Foremost is the enormous benefit of studying interaction in
a wide range of languages -- this becomes a natural testing ground for
questions about the intersections of linguistic structure, social
interaction, and culture. By recording naturalistic interactions across
many languages, we can begin asking questions that are unanswerable with
previous approaches relying on elicited data and audio-only recordings of
traditional narratives. Furthermore, we think taking an interactional
approach improves grammatical description by allowing us to describe actual
language use. Others are using an this approach to improve language
maintenance and revitalization programs.

If you are working on anything related to these topics and would like to be
part of our panel, or just have suggestions or comments, please get in
touch with me and Rich.

Nick Williams and Rich Sandoval
University of Colorado Boulder