[Linganth] ling anth work on human-robot interaction?

Rebecca Pardo rebecca.pardo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:13:15 UTC 2015

Below is a consolidated list of the recommendations I received. These are
great, thanks everyone. It does seem that there's little empirical analysis
of actual h-r interactions, as in straight-up discourse analysis. Some
context, and to partially address Eleanor's comment about what is even the
point of all this...

I'm also an anthropologist working in tech, specifically software design.
For me, the outcome of having better analysis of human-robot interaction
means, possibly, better robot design, that accounts for reality of behavior
and culture. If ling anths want to understand human sociality and
interaction, why exclude machines (not just robots) from that analysis? We
interact with them constantly, and those interactions are specifically and
very thoughtfully designed, designs which rely on all kinds of ideologies
about language and communication.

Linguistic anthropologists and discourse analysts need to do a better job
communicating with interaction designers. We can't stop the robots but we
might be able to influence how they're built to interact with us. So,
that's what I'm trying to do.

Rebecca

-
Eitan Wilf (2013) Sociable robots, jazz music, and divination​. American
Ethnologist.

(2013) From media technologies that reproduce seconds to media technologies
that reproduce thirds: a Peircian perspective on stylistic fidelity and
style-reproducing computerized algorithms. Signs and Society.

Hirofumi Katsuno (2011) The Robot's Heart: Tinkering with Humanity and
Intimacy in Robot-Building, Japanese Studies.

Kathleen Richardson (2015) An Anthropology of Robots and AI. Routledge.

Michael Agar (2015) Looking For Culture In All The Right Places: Culture
Training For Our Poststructural Times. Cultus.
http://cultusjournal.com/files/Archives/cultus_6_2nd_edition_2015.pdf

Lucy Suchman (2007) Human-Machine Configurations. Cambridge.

Jennifer Robertson (2014) Human rights vs. robot rights: forecasts from
Japan. Critical Asian Studies.

Diana Forsythe (1996) New Bottles, Old Wine: Hidden Cultural Assumptions in
a Computerized Explanation System for Migraine Sufferers. Medical
Anthropology Quarterly.

projects at queensland
http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/research/technology/

rebecca at normative.com