[Linganth] Save the date: Western Conference on Linguistics, Boise State University

Chris VanderStouwe cvanderstouwe at boisestate.edu
Tue Dec 6 18:42:28 UTC 2016

Apologies for any cross-posting

Save the date for the upcoming *Western Conference on Linguistics *being
held at Boise State University from *19-22 October 2017*.

The Western Conference on Linguistics is an annual conference held in
rotating locations in the western part of the United States and Canada
since 1988. We encourage submissions from varying disciplines and
sub-fields for any papers relating to linguistics and language use. In
addition to papers accepted in all sub-fields of linguistics, the 2017
conference will host a special session on Language and Displacement and
another focusing on undergraduate research.

Plenary Speakers to be announced shortly.

*Special Session 1: Language and Displacement: **
*Displacement, or
forced migration, can manifest in myriad ways including the removal of
indigenous people from their homelands, exile, and refugee resettlement,
and has been shown to have traumatic effects not only on the people who
are physically displaced but also on their offspring. We also conceive
displacement more broadly to include not only physical, but also
generational, social, ecological, and cultural displacement and its
impact on identity and community. Of course, the effects of displacement
on language may be devastating in any of these conceptualizations. We
are seeking abstracts addressing issues of language and displacement as
can be seen through studies of:

-language and identity

-language documentation and revitalization

-ethnographic accounts

-community and civic engagement

*Special Session 2: Presentations by undergraduate students**
**: *We
would like to extend a special invitation to undergraduate students in
linguistics interested in submitting abstracts for paper or poster
presentations in any sub-field of linguistics. In addition to their
presentations, we will be hosting a professional development session as
well as several social activities, sponsored by the Boise State
Linguistics Association.

Information on the conference is available at Linguist List:
http://linguistlist.org/callconf/browse-conf-action.cfm?ConfID=267956and
our conference homepage: https://english.boisestate.edu/wecol2017/

Conference contact: Michal Temkin Martinez

Email: wecol at boisestate.edu <mailto:wecol at boisestate.edu>

A call for abstracts will be posted on our webpage soon with a
submission deadline of March 1, 2017.

--
Dr. Chris VanderStouwe
Lecturer in Linguistics, Department of English

Office: Riverfront Hall 213M (Enter through Room 214)

http://english.boisestate.edu/contact/chris-vanderstouwe/

Go Broncos!