[Linganth] CFP: Language, Culture & History of Linguistic Anthropology

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 16:00:37 UTC 2016

Call for Papers, AAA Conference, November 16-20, Minneapolis, MN.

People interested in submitting a paper to this session should send a
200-250 word abstract to Leila.Monaghan at gmail.com by Sunday, April 3. Feel
free to run ideas by me before submitting a formal proposal.

Life, Death and Language Ideologies: Historical Accidents of Community
Formation and the Framing of Evidence in Linguistic Anthropology

All linguistic anthropologists examine language and work within specific
paradigms of language ideology and linguistic praxis.  Historical and
contemporary communities of linguistic anthropologists both within the
United States and internationally, therefore, make a fertile field for the
study of interactions between, as Dell Hymes put it, code and community.
The contingent nature of community building and how chance plays a role in
our understanding of our evidence, documented language practices, will be
one key theme in the session. Papers should use linguistic anthropology
concepts to explore the structure of past or present communities and
language projects.  An American example would be the exploration of the
communities behind various generations of the Handbook of American Indian
Languages, from those compiled by John Wesley Powell to the famous 1911
version edited by Franz Boas.  International topics could include the
history of national language surveys such as George Grierson’s Linguistic
Survey of India.  Linguistic anthropologists are often interested in
exploring the emergence of social structure from interactions.  This
session will give up an opportunity to examine the emergence of our own
institutions.

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD
Publisher, Elm Books