[Linganth] Call for Papers: Minority language ideologies on the move

Kerim Friedman oxusnet at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 02:50:25 UTC 2016

Dear Colleagues,

We are writing to invite you to submit a paper to our panel
​"
Minority language ideologies on the move
<http://nomadit.co.uk/cascaiuaes2017/suite/panels.php5?PanelID=5276>
​"​
 (RM-LL04), which has been accepted for the CASCA/IUAES 2017 Conference in
Ottawa, scheduled for May 2-7, 2017. Monica Heller will be the discussant.
(The panel abstract is below.)

The call for papers for CASCA/IUAES 2017 closes on December 19th, 2016. All
submissions must be made via the CASCA/IUAES2017 website:

http://nomadit.co.uk/cascaiuaes2017/en/call-for-papers

Because of how CASCA/IUAES is organized, all panels are open with an
unspecified number of sessions. Each session has 4 papers, and the maximum
is three sessions. That means that we will either accept 4, 8, or 12
papers, depending on the quality and quantity of the papers and (assuming
we want more than one session) whether CASCA/IUAES agrees to grant us
additional sessions.

Do not hesitate to contact us directly if you have any questions. Please
use Kerim’s email: kerim.friedman at oxus.net

Cheers,

P. Kerim Friedman (National Dong Hwa University, Taiwan)
Tzu-kai Liu (Academia Sinica, Taiwan)

This panel contributes to the growing body of literature on the language
ideologies of minority language speakers by exploring what happens when
these ideologies move across geographical, political and cultural scapes.
By “language ideologies” (Woolard and Schieffelin 1994) we are referring to
the beliefs and attitudes people hold about languages, about the people who
speak those languages, and about the communicative practices of those
speakers. We are interested in how these beliefs and attitudes are affected
by two different kinds of movement: the movement of minority language
speakers themselves, as well as the movement of discourses about minority
languages as they transverse different communities of practice. The first
kind of movement is exemplified by the changing language attitudes of
minorities who have migrated to large urban centers where their language
might gain new meaning as a tool for forging affective ties with other
members of their speech community. The second kind of movement can be
observed when minority language activists must reframe local ideologies in
order to get support from the state. As a result of these movements
language ideologies come to be reinterpreted at different geographic and
temporal scales (Carr and Lempert 2016). This raises a number of important
questions: How do shifts in scale change the perceived relationship of
minority languages to the wider linguistic hierarchy? How do language
ideologies come to embrace or reject different chronotopes (Silverstein
2005) as a result of these shifts? How are linguistic practices
reconfigured as a result of these ideological transformations?

​
--

*P. Kerim Friedman 傅可恩 <http://kerim.oxus.net/>*

Associate Professor
The Department of Ethnic Relations and Cultures
College of Indigenous Studies
National DongHwa University, TAIWAN
副教授國立東華大學族群關係與文化學系