[Linganth] open access journals

Karen Pennesi pennesi at uwo.ca
Thu Oct 6 14:55:54 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am considering submitting an article to an open access journal (SAGE
Open). I would like to get a sense of how open access journals are regarded
by my peers. We are being pushed by funders and our universities to make our
work open and accessible. At the same time, it seems that the
longer-established print journals still hold the standard and prestige. Is
there an assumption that work published in open access journals is somehow
less significant or of lower quality?  Is this related to the fact that the
cost of publishing is paid by the author rather than by libraries,
institutions or individual readers?

And specifically, does anyone have experience with SAGE Open as an author or
reviewer or reader?

Thanks,

Karen

Karen Pennesi

Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology

Co-Director, Undergraduate Program in Linguistics, Social Science

University of Western Ontario

pennesi at uwo.ca <mailto:pennesi at uwo.ca>

UWO Names Study
<http://anthropology.uwo.ca/faculty/pennesi/name_project.html>