[Linganth] resources on hate speech/free speech

Schlegel, Jennifer jschlege at kutztown.edu
Mon Aug 21 13:17:52 UTC 2017

Thank you, Lynnette -

Although not specifically focused on language, the multidisciplinary Journal of Hate Studies is a resource. https://journals.gonzaga.edu/index.php/johs?

I would also add that sociologist Kathleen Blee's 2002 book, Inside Organized Racism: Women in the Hate Movement, has an interesting chapter on the role of narrative in creating racist identities. Women come to re-narrate their lives through a racist lens as they get more involved with racist ideologies.

Narrative is also consequential for desistance from hate - those who leave the movement re-narrate their lives from a former racist lens.

Jen Schlegel

Jennifer Schlegel, PhD | Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology/Sociology
 Kutztown University of Pennsylvania
470 Old Main | PO Box 730 | Kutztown Pa. 19530