[Linganth] Western Conference on Linguistics - Boise State University, October 2017

Chris VanderStouwe cvanderstouwe at umail.ucsb.edu
Fri Feb 24 21:02:44 UTC 2017

(apologies for cross posting)

On behalf of the Linguistics faculty at Boise State University, I would
like to invite you to consider submissions to our upcoming Western
Conference on Linguistics - details below.

Best,

Dr. Chris VanderStouwe

Boise State University

The Boise State University linguistics program will be hosting the
Western Conference on Linguistics (WECOL) on October 20-22, 2017 in
Boise, Idaho. Abstracts are invited for 20-minute talks (with 10 minutes
for discussion) or poster presentations on any aspect of theoretical,
experimental, documentary, applied, or computational linguistics.
Abstracts addressing issues related to displacement and language are
especially welcome. *Abstracts are due April 15, 2017.*

*Invited Speakers:*

Martha Bigelow (University of Minnesota)

Christine Sims (University of New Mexico and Linguistics Institute for
Native Americans)

In addition to the general conference sessions, we will be hosting two
special sessions during this year’s conference:

*Special Session 1: Language and Displacement*

Displacement, or forced migration, can manifest in myriad ways including
the removal of peoples from their homelands, exile, and refugee
resettlement, and has been shown to have traumatic effects not only on
the people who are physically displaced but also on their offspring.
More broadly, generational, social, ecological, and cultural
displacement can also impact identity and community. The effects of
displacement on language may be devastating. We are seeking abstracts
addressing issues of language and displacement as can be seen through
studies of:

- language and identity

- language documentation and revitalization

- ethnographic accounts

- community and civic engagement

- language education

*Special Session 2: Undergraduate Research*

We would like to extend a special invitation to undergraduate students
interested in submitting abstracts for paper or poster presentations in
any sub-field of linguistics. We will be hosting a professional
development pre-conference workshop as well as several social activities
for undergraduate attendees during.

*_Abstract submission instructions:_*

Submissions are limited to one individual and one joint abstract per
author. All abstracts should be in English, and submitted in PDF format
via Easy Chair at: tinyurl.com/wecol2017abstracts
<http://tinyurl.com/wecol2017abstracts> (free account required).
Abstracts should be limited to one page (using 1-inch margins on all
sides and 11pt font size) with an optional additional page containing
examples and references. Non-standard fonts and software should be
avoided and all fonts should be embedded in the PDF document. The papers
presented at WECOL 2017 will be eligible for publication in the official
proceedings of the conference.

*Abstracts are due on April 15, 2017 *and notifications will be sent out
by June 30, 2017. Please visit our page at
https://english.boisestate.edu/wecol2017 or email us at
wecol at boisestate.edu <mailto:wecol at boisestate.edu> if you have any
questions. We look forward to seeing you in Boise!

--
Dr. Chris VanderStouwe

Lecturer in Linguistics, Department of English
Advisory Board, Gender Studies Program
Boise State University

PhD, Department of Linguistics
University of California, Santa Barbara