[Linganth] talanoa at the bonn climate change conference

Alexander King aking at koryaks.net
Fri Nov 17 14:35:13 UTC 2017

A quick google found this site: http://talanoa.com.au <http://talanoa.com.au/>, where all the stories and gossip are about climate change. The site is consciously trans-pacific and makes me think that that the use in Bonn comes out of South Pacific political discourse aimed at Anglophone audiences. The site's owner/editor seems to have been trained in marketing but shifted to political activism.

Such a use certainly parallels other indigenous political discourses that foreground traditional modes of storytelling as political testimony to a Euro(American) political elite, e.g. Cruikshank’s _Do Glaciers Listen_, but also lots of stuff from Alaska and the Amazon.

Alex

Alexander D. King, Ph.D
Research, Writing, Editing
http://www.koryaks.net