[Linganth] talanoa at the bonn climate change conference

Matt Tomlinson matt.tomlinson at anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 17 20:06:17 UTC 2017

Hi Deborah,

There is a lot of writing on talanoa, and I am working on a summary myself--I will be glad to send you a draft if you like! But more immediately, a few key resources besides Don Brenneis' valuable work are:

-Andrew Arno (The World of Talk on a Fijian Island) on Indigenous Fijian talanoa;

-Writings by the Halapua brothers, Winston (a theologian) and Sitiveni (a conflict moderator who worked at the East-West Center in Honolulu and held conflict-resolution sessions in many Pacific states in the 1990s/2000s which he called Talanoa sessions)

-Pacific theologians have written extensively about talanoa, including most prominently Jione Havea, who also runs a series of academic workshops called Talanoa Oceania; see https://sites.google.com/a/nomoa.com/talanoa/

As the links you included suggest, "talanoa" is used kind of like "dialogue" in much political English--it has an optimistic sense of shared difference reaching agreement. The main difference between "talanoa" and "dialogue" is that in some contexts "talanoa" is characterized as unimportant talk--just casual conversation--and it is often promoted as a uniquely Indigenous Oceanian method, a way of talking collaboratively that defines Pacific cultures.

Best regards,

Matt

Matt Tomlinson
Associate Professor of Anthropology
College of Asia and the Pacific, Australian National University