[Linganth] SLA Conference LATE BREAKING PANEL: mediated silence

Rachel Flamenbaum rnflame at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 19:38:21 UTC 2017

Hello, all! Please see below for a panel co-organized by Rachel George and
myself. If interested, please email one or both of us *ASAP*:
 rnflame at gmail.comand/or rachel.l.george at gmail.com.

-.-.-.-.-

Taking a cue from classic situated approaches to silence in face-to-face
contexts (Basso 1970, Zimmerman & West 1975, Bauman 1983, Sattel 1983,
Sorrels 1983, Tannen & Saville-Troike 1985, Gal 1991, DeFrancisco 1991), as
well as more recent engagements with the pragmatics of silence in
conversation (c.f. Ephratt 2008, Frimpong 2010, Benus et al 2011, Heydon
2011, Haddix 2012, Hoey 2017), this panel engages with interactional
silences in digitally-mediated settings.

We aim to grapple with such questions as: how is silence produced,
experienced, and understood in mediated spaces? How are gaps felt and
managed in digital, real-time interaction? When is non-participation in
online circulating discourses made relevant as silence? Building on the SLA
Social Justice Task Force's 2015 blog post
<http://linguisticanthropology.org/blog/2015/04/14/an-news-silent-meditation-speech-power-and-social-justice-by-the-committee-on-language-social-justice/>
reflecting
on the problematics of online (non)responses to social injustice, how are
the various possible political and personal meanings of
silence—suppression, complicity, power, judgement, avoidance, comfort, and
so on—reconfigured in mediated interaction?

We welcome CA perspectives on the relevance of non-participation and/or
absences in mediated interaction; methodological engagements with
investigating silence in mediated contexts; and theoretical reflections on
the nature of mediated silences as indexical forms of action. As the
organizers of this panel are themselves newly interested by the question of
silence in mediated settings, we are very much open to paper proposals
which are novel and experimental in nature.

Rachel Flamenbaum, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
California State University Sacramento