[Linganth] State of the Discipline?

Steven Black stevepblack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 14:08:38 UTC 2018

Hi,

I tried to include some similar information in an Anthro News piece a few years back but had trouble locating statistics. I did find a few things out, which are included in a short piece published in 2014 overviewing some of the history of the field and contemporary trends that can be accessed here:

http://linguisticanthropology.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Aug2014.Linguistic-Anthropology-in-the-Current-Professional-Marketpdf.pdf

There’s also a great article by Alan Rumsey that, if I remember correctly, has some statistics in it:

Rumsey, Alan (2013). “Anthropology, Linguistics, and the Vicissitudes of Interdisciplinary Collaboration.” Collaborative Anthropologies 6: 268-289.

And if you are interested in exploring some of the historical reasons for disciplinary distinctions in anthropology, linguistics, and linguistic anthropology, Elizabeth Falconi and I did some background research (including a bit of informl archival/ oral history work) and discussed this a bit in another piece:

Black, Steven P. and Elizabeth Falconi (2017). “Linguistic Anthropology and Ethnolinguistics.” In Mark Aronoff and Jaine Rees-Miller (eds.), The Handbook of Linguistics, 2nd Edition. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, p. 479-504.

Other than that, you might ask people on the SLA executive board. Good luck!

Take care,

Steve

Steven P. Black

Associate Professor