[Linganth] Studies of language acquisition through schooling in L2

Magnus Pharao Hansen magnuspharao at gmail.com
Thu May 31 07:25:24 UTC 2018

Dear all

The Danish government is currently introducing legislation to provide
obligatory day care for children in areas with high immigrant populations
with the rationale that early immersion in Danish may create better
educational achievements for children from homes where Danish is not
spoken. There is an argument that the cause of the educational achievement
gap for youths with first or second generation immigrant backgrounds is
primarily caused by their not knowing enough Danish in the early grades.

I am currently seeking to interrogate the basis for these arguments and
assumptions in the literature, for which reason I ask you to suggest recent
studies of language acquisition of children and/or educational achievement
who begin schooling in a foreign language.

The literature on bilingualism seems not to distinguish between bilinguals
who acquire two languages at home and bilinguals who begin school as
monolinguals and acquire their L2 through schooling.

Any studies that could shed light on how schooling in an L2 affects later
educational achievement will be helpful to know about.

Many thanks,

sincerely
--
Magnus Pharao Hansen, PhD.