[Linganth] FW: Word Gap intervention evaluation studies?

Faudree, Paja paja_faudree at brown.edu
Wed Apr 17 20:08:48 UTC 2019

Hi everyone --

I would also add to Lynnette's comment that she and I have taught and
spoken about this issue, with particular reference to Providence Talks,
here at Brown.  An article we wrote about that is forthcoming in the
pedagogical section of American Speech.  Either of us would be happy to
discuss any aspects of this off the list (to avoid cluttering up inboxes).

Best wishes,

Paja

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 3:13 PM Arnold, Lynnette <lynnette_arnold at brown.edu>
wrote:

> Just chiming in with two points.
>
> The Language and Social Justice Committee has compiled a bibliography of
> written critiques of the "word gap", which is available here
> <http://linguisticanthropology.org/socialjustice/initiatives/language-gap-teaching-resources/>
> (on the SLA site) along with some teaching resources we have been putting
> together on this topic.
>
> My sense is the same as Michele's that there just hasn't been much good
> work on evaluating implementations, and that sadly, the Brown study that
> Kit mentions is one of the most substantive out there. This would certainly
> be a valuable angle for future research for sure! (The relationship between
> Providence Talks and Brown University is very interesting and quite complex
> - I've learned a little about it during my time here and am happy to talk
> to anyone about it offline).
>

> Lynnette Arnold, PhD
> Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow
>
> Department of Anthropology
> Swearer Center for Public Service
> Cogut Institute for the Humanities
> Brown University
>

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:49 PM Woolard, Kathryn <kwoolard at ucsd.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Many thanks to those who’ve responded with suggestions. Here is one from
>> Michele Koven, who’s having trouble posting to the list.
>>

>> So far I haven’t found evaluations/critiques of evaluations of the actual
>> interventions such as Providence Talks or the 30 Million Word Initiative,
>> which particularly interest me. Cartmill 2016 mentions that it was too
>> early for those at the time of writing.
>>

>> Best to all,
>>
>> Kit
>>

>> *From: *Michele Koven <koven.michele at gmail.com>
>> *Date: *Monday, April 15, 2019 at 5:54 PM
>> *To: *Kathryn Woolard <kwoolard at ucsd.edu>
>> *Subject: *Re: [Linganth] Word Gap intervention evaluation studies?
>>

>> Hi,
>>

>> Here is a popular press link that summarizes Doug Sperry’s findings that
>> challenge the word gap.
>>

>> https://www.sciencenews.org/article/word-gap-low-income-children-psychology-reproducibility
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 7:21 PM Woolard, Kathryn <kwoolard at ucsd.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have references for, and/or a critical summary of, follow-up
>> evaluation studies of home language socialization interventions based on
>> the “Word Gap” model, such as “Providence Talks” or other LENA-based
>> interventions?
>>
>> Brief googling has led me only to short (glowing) news reports 2017-18
>> and an unpublished ms. of a Brown University study of Providence Talks,
>> which falls far short in research standards in my view. For evaluation of
>> change in child language skills, it uses only a self-administered parent
>> evaluation form devised and provided by LENA itself to its participants.

> [...]

Paja Faudree
Associate Professor