[Linganth] SLA 2020 Submission Updates

Kira Hall kira.hall at colorado.edu
Wed Dec 11 17:06:14 UTC 2019

Dear all,

As you know, the deadline for submissions to SLA 2020 (April 2-5, Boulder) is this coming Monday, December 16, at 3pm Eastern Standard Time. Since the AAA technicians will not be available over the weekend, the conference organizers are asking that those of you planning to submit papers try to register by this Friday, so that we can address any problems that may arise in advance of what we anticipate will be a very busy final submission day.

Below, I include a list of answers from the conference organizers to common questions we have received. For the very latest information about the conference, please remember to consult the SLA 2020 conference website<http://linguisticanthropology.org/blog/meetings/2020-spring-conference-society-linguistic-anthropology/>.  If you have questions that are not answered on the conference website, please contact the conference organizers at slaboulder at gmail.com<mailto:slaboulder at gmail.com>.

(1) Conference Start and End Times

Firm dates for the conference are not yet finalized, but we anticipate that the conference will begin on Thursday, April 2, 12:00 noon and continue through the closing catered reception on Saturday, April 4, 6:30-8:00 pm. Should we receive more submissions than anticipated, we may choose to add morning sessions on Sunday, April 5th and instead close the conference on Sunday at 12:00 noon. We plan to post the finalized schedule and program on January 31st, 2020. However, we encourage participants to go ahead and book their hotel accommodations, as the discounted conference block is limited. Reservations may be canceled for free up until March 31st, 2020.  For more information on lodging, consult the SLA 2020 conference website<http://linguisticanthropology.org/blog/meetings/2020-spring-conference-society-linguistic-anthropology/>.

(2) Workshop and Installation Proposals
The SLA 2020 submission portal<https://www.abstractscorecard.com/cfp/submit/loginsso.asp?EventKey=HBBTILVQ> allows for paper, poster, panel, and roundtable submissions, but not workshop or installation proposals. Therefore, these proposals must to be sent by the December 16 deadline directly to the conference organizing committee at slaboulder at gmail.com<mailto:slaboulder at gmail.com>. In your email, please provide (1) a title for the workshop or installation, (2) the names and affiliations of all people leading the workshop or installation, and (3) an abstract of up to 250 words describing the workshop or installation for use on the conference program.  Please note that all workshop or installation organizers will also need to register officially for the conference at the submission portal<https://www.abstractscorecard.com/cfp/submit/loginsso.asp?EventKey=HBBTILVQ> by the December 16 deadline.

(3) Childcare at SLA 2020

The SLA is currently working to offer childcare for conference attendees. Although pricing for this service is subject to change based on participation, we estimate that our childcare services will cost approximately $7.50-$10.00 per hour or $50-$75 for a full day (8:00am-6:00pm). If you are interested in this service, please send an email to the conference organizers at slaboulder at gmail.com<mailto:slaboulder at gmail.com>.  Please tell us the age of your child, any special needs, and if possible, the days and hours you anticipate needing childcare (e.g., all day Friday and Saturday; Friday only; 2-3 hours on Saturday; etc.). This information is only preliminary and will be used to help us assess the need for establishing this service.

(4) SLA Cancellation/Refund Policy
For accepted presenters:  The registration fee is the presenter's commitment to presenting at the meeting. If their proposal is accepted into the program, their registration fee is non-refundable. If their proposal is not accepted, their registration fee is refundable, as long as a written request is submitted to aaameetings at americananthro.org<mailto:aaameetings at americananthro.org> between the CFP decision date and March 2, 2020.  For meeting attendees (non-submitters/non-presenters): The registration fee is refundable, as long as a written request is submitted to aaameetings at americananthro.org<mailto:aaameetings at americananthro.org> between the CFP decision date and March 2, 2020.

(5) Inspiration
Finally, for inspiration as you put together your submissions, please take a look at this 49-second promotional video<https://vimeo.com/378634957?activityReferer=1> composed by our devoted undergraduate marketing team. Fun!

We are looking forward to seeing you at SLA 2020,

Kira Hall (on behalf of the Conference Organizing Committee)

******
Kira Hall, Professor
Departments of Linguistics and Anthropology
Associate Chair of Undergraduate Studies, Linguistics
Director, Program in Culture, Language, and Social Practice<https://www.colorado.edu/program/clasp/> (CLASP)
Director, The Literacy Practicum<https://www.colorado.edu/linguistics/literacy-practicum>
University of Colorado Boulder

******