[Linganth] SLA 2020 Call for Roundtable Presenters: Teaching Linguistic Anthropology in a Time of Rapidly Emerging Technologies and Shifting Communicative Strategies

K Managan kmanagan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 17:57:46 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,

We are seeing 2-3 presenters to join a roundtable discussion at SLA
2020 on *Teaching
Linguistic Anthropology in a Time of Rapidly Emerging Technologies and
Shifting Communicative Strategies*. The abstract is pasted below and
included as an attachment. If you would be interested in presenting on this
topic, please email me ASAP at kathe.managan1 at louisiana.edu.

Kind regards,
Kathe

*Teaching Linguistic Anthropology in a Time of Rapidly Emerging
Technologies and Shifting Communicative Strategies [* A ROUNDTABLE]*

The Marist Mindlist for the class of 2023 notes of this year’s incoming
freshmen that “[t]heir smart pens may write and record faster than they can
think” and “YouTube has become the video version of Wikipedia.” Today’s
students communicate with gifs and memes as readily as they do with a
computer keyboard and perhaps more readily than they do with a pen and
paper. Smart phones and social media shape their social interactions and
the way they acquire and share knowledge. In this context, linguistic
anthropology has useful lessons to teach students about communication and
the social life of words. But how do we most effectively teach these
lessons to today’s students? How do we incorporate new technologies and
learning modalities into our pedagogy? The emergence of digital
communication technologies has also enabled the growth of online and hybrid
teaching. While all of these changes present challenges for educators they
also offer new opportunities to engage a wider range of students and to
include a greater diversity of voices in our educational materials. With
the goal of fostering a discussion on best practices, this roundtable
brings together faculty members teaching students using online, hybrid and
face-to-face formats at a variety of different types of higher education
institutions.

*Organizer: *

   - Kathe Managan, University of Louisiana, Lafayette

*Presenters: *

   - Kathe Managan, University of Louisiana, Lafayette

·      Jacqueline Messing, University of Maryland-College Park

--
Kathe Managan, PhD
Instructor, Linguistic Anthropology
email: kathe.managan1 at louisiana.edu