[Linganth] Ethnographies

Elise Berman eberman at uncc.edu
Mon Jun 17 18:26:21 UTC 2019

Dear all,

A couple people emailed with more, and asked to see the list in the body of
the e-mail itself. Here it is. If anyone has any more suggestions, please
send them to the listserve as a whole, I will not be updating this again!

Many thanks,

Elise

*Ethnographies that have been used with undergraduates and worked well*

Mendoza-Denton, Norma. *Homegirls *(this was suggested by almost everyone)

Basso, Keith. *Wisdom Sits in Places* (also offered Lonesome Dove and
Portraits of a White Man)

Fader, Ayala. *Mitzvah Girls*

Davis, Jenny.  *Talking Indian: Identity and Language Revitalization in the
Chickasaw Renaissance *

García Sánchez, Inmaculada *Language and Muslim Immigrant Childhoods *

Blackledge & Creese's *Multilingualism *

LaDousa, Chaise. *House Signs and Collegiate Fun*

Gilmore, Perry. *Kisisi*

Fadiman, Anne *The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down *(Not linguistic
anthropology Specifically, but a good story of intercommunication and
miscommunication, and the importance of pragmatics)

Bauer, Laurie and Peter Trudgill *Language Myths *(not an ethnography, but
a good undergraduate friendly text!)

Dan Everett "Don't sleep, there are snakes"

Paugh, Amy L. (2013). *Playing with Languages: Children and Change in a
Caribbean Village. *New York: Berghahn Books.

Tetreault, Chantal. (2015). *Transcultural Teens: Performing Youth
Identities in French Cités*. Malden, MA: Wiley Blackwell.

Non-linguistic ethnographies used (about communication writ large)

Amy Stambach's *Lessons from Mount Kilimanjaro*

Bourgois and Schonberg's *Righteous Dopefiend*

*Ethnographies or books suggested (but have not yet been class tested!)*

Shankar, Salini. *Beeline*

Rhymes, Betsy. *Conversational Borderlands*
McIntish, Janet first book, which I believe is *The Edge of Islam: Power,
Personhood, and Ethnoreligious Boundaries on the Kenya Coast*

Allen, Catherine Allen. *Foxboy*

Black, Steven. *Speech and Song At the Margins of Global Health: Zulu
Tradition, HIV Stigma, and AIDS Activism in South Africa*

Majors, Yolanda. *Shoptalk *

Sarroub *All American Yemeni Girls*

Rosa, Jonathan. (2019).* Looking like a Language, Sounding like a Race:
Raciolinguistic Ideologies and the Learning of Latinidad *(Oxf Studies in
Anthropology of Language) OUP.

And in an act of self promotion I will add mine to this list which I wrote
as a series of short ethnographic stories and specifically had
undergraduates in mind when I was writing it!

Berman, Elise. *Talking Like Children: Language and the Production of Age
in the Marshall Islands*

*Graduate students*

Basso, Keith. Wisdom Sits in Places

Debenport. *Fixing the Books*

--
Elise Berman
Assistant Professor

*Talking Like Children: Language and the Production of Age in the Marshall
Islands.
<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/talking-like-children-9780190876982?cc=us&lang=en&>*Oxford
University Press
<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/talking-like-children-9780190876982?cc=us&lang=en&>

Force Signs: Ideologies of Corporal Discipline in Academia and the Marshall
Islands
https://anthrosource.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jola.12175