[Linganth] organizing panel for SLA 2020 -- Capitalism's Genre Repertoires

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 15:47:46 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,
I would like to encourage more conversations about the analytic lens
that genre offers when examining political economy,
and so am organizing a panel for SLA to see who else in our field also
wants to explore this direction.

If the abstract below appeals at all, please email me at:

igershon at indiana.edu
PLEASE DO NOT email me at my gmail account  -- it is a very unreliable
way to get in touch with me.

Capitalism's Genre Repertoires
Abstract
This panel proposes a focus on genre repertoires– bounded sets of
interacting genres (Yates and Orlikowski 1992) – as a starting point for
exploring how aspects of the new economy become legible and
circulatable. Linguistic anthropologists have long argued that a focus
on the interplay of multiple genres is necessary to understanding
community life and the practical ways meaning is made (Bauman and
Sherzer 1974). An analytic focus on single genres – such as the memo,
the meeting, or the media post – have led to local insights on economic
practices, but it has led to an impoverished understanding of the ways
genres contribute to creating the social order that capitalism requires
to function. This realization is fueled by the fact that capitalism for
the past 30 years has undergone enormous changes: the flexibilization of
labor, a breakdown in traditional organizational hierarchies, and
blurred boundaries between self and work, and between private and
public. Scholars feel the pressing need to understand how both everyday
people and institutional actors are using established discursive
techniques and emergent genre assemblages to organize the necessary
communicative predictability to respond to these fundamental changes.
This panel highlights three new empirical and analytical sites that will
give scholars new tools for understanding genres in the new economy: 1)
the cross-genre formation of categories, 2) genre-centered forms of
participation, and 3) blurred boundaries between genres and
technological platforms. These three foci enable linguistic
anthropologists to explore genres-in-context as integral to how
capitalist practices sustain themselves both locally and globally.

Best,

Ilana