[Linganth] Request for resources on equity in language us and assessment in higher education

Elise Berman eberman at uncc.edu
Tue Jun 9 16:43:26 UTC 2020

Dear all,

Our department is working on reviewing how equitably we are treating our
students. I am very familiar with the literature on language and education
in K-12, specifically the problems of standard and monolingualism,
raciolinguistic ideologies, genre expectations, etc. I am less familiar
with the work on higher education. Does anyone have recommendations for
articles on language and education in higher education? I am specifically
thinking about assessing writing and essays, and the way we might be
disadvantaging students who use different genres/vernaculars.

I would be happy to compile resources I receive into document to be shared
with all.

Many thanks,
Elise
--
Elise Berman
Convenor, Anthropology of Childhood and Youth Interest Group

*Talking Like Children: Language and the Production of Age in the Marshall
Islands.
<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/talking-like-children-9780190876982?cc=us&lang=en&>*Oxford
University Press
<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/talking-like-children-9780190876982?cc=us&lang=en&>

Force Signs: Ideologies of Corporal Discipline in Academia and the Marshall
Islands
https://anthrosource.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jola.12175