[Linganth] Language & Culture Course

Rachel Flamenbaum rnflame at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 01:54:49 UTC 2020

The edited volumes Raciolinguistics
<https://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780190625696.001.0001/acprof-9780190625696>
and
Beyond Yellow English
<https://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780195327359.001.0001/acprof-9780195327359>
are
both excellent resources for decentering whiteness and standard language
assumptions in ling anth pedagogy! Racioling in particular brings together
so many powerful critical voices. Rosina Lippi-Green's "English with an
Accent" is evergreen, too. A non-exhaustive list of other texts I've loved
teaching with in recent years, in no particular order:

Bonilla, Y., & Rosa, J. (2015). #Ferguson: digital protest, hashtag
ethnography, and the racial politics of social media in the United
States. *American
Ethnologist.*, *42*(1), 4–17. <<basically, anything either of them write

Mason Carris, L. (2011). La voz gringa: Latino stylization of linguistic
(in)authenticity as social critique. *Discourse & Society*, *22*(4),
474–490.

Florini, S. (2014). Tweets, Tweeps, and Signifyin’. *Television & New Media*,
*15*(3), 223–237.

Young, V. A. (2010). Should writers use they own English? *Iowa Journal of
Cultural Studies*, *12*(April), 110–118.

Goodwin, C. (1994). Professional Vision. *American Anthropologist*, *96*(3),
606–633. <<Always useful when teaching in re: police brutality

Paris, D. (2010). “The Second Language of the United States”: Youth
Perspectives on Spanish in a Changing Multiethnic Community. *Journal of
Language, Identity & Education*, *9*(2), 139–155.

Slobe, T. (2018). Style, stance, and social meaning in mock white
girl. *Language
in Society* 47 (4), 541-567.

I would also make the case for including some of the great work speaking
back to the so-called Language Gap by many members of this list in your
intro syllabus. State politicization of literacy as an ostensible tool for
'escaping' poverty in lieu of truly engaging with structural poverty
traps/the criminalization of poverty, and the racialization of the
recipients of these interventions, is very worthy of attention at all
times, but especially in the context of calls to re-examine state hegemony
in the form of defunding police. (And because Joe Biden apparently thinks
the language gap is a thing. Sigh.)

Onward,

Rachel

--