[Linganth] ***UNCHECKED*** Virtual Book Launch: Reckonings

Stephen Chrisomalis chrisomalis at wayne.edu
Mon Apr 5 14:47:52 UTC 2021

I am very pleased to announce the virtual book launch for my new book, Reckonings: Numerals, Cognition, and History (MIT Press, 2020 - https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/reckonings) will be on Monday, April 19, from 1:00 - 2:30pm Eastern, sponsored by Wayne State University's Humanities Center (see attached flyer).  I will be doing a brief reading of an excerpt, followed by a Q&A and discussion with Dr. Stephen Houston (Brown U) as moderator.  The event is free and open to everyone - please attend and feel free to share this announcement.

Reckonings incorporates semiotic, philological, and cognitive perspectives on numerals and numeracy, treating numbers as communicative and representational practices, rather than principally mathematical objects.  How people choose how and when to write numbers is as much a linguistic and social activity as it is technological or arithmetical.  Understanding why, for instance, we don't use Roman numerals much any longer - and the exceptions when we do - requires that we reckon with what people are really using numerals for in the first place, moving beyond factors such as 'efficiency' to explain why one notation (the Indo-Arabic or Western numerals) is so ubiquitous.

Click the following link to register:

https://wayne-edu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcsf-GuqjgtHtaoPM9II5zc0gev6MwKhn0D

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.  I hope to see you there!

Stephen Chrisomalis
Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies

Dept. of Anthropology, Wayne State University
3019 FAB, 656 W. Kirby
Detroit, MI 48202
chrisomalis at wayne.edu
313-577-9922