[Linganth] Textbooks addressing language change?

Richard J. Senghas senghas at sonoma.edu
Thu Apr 22 00:02:15 UTC 2021

Hello Colleagues,

I am considering significantly revising by upper-division undergraduate course on Language Change.  The course addresses issues of language change in three main “chunks”: we revisit at a basic level the evolution of the human capacity for language, then turn to language change across time and space, addressing issues of historical change and language contact.  Recently, the course has been increasingly addressing language preservation/revitalization, as that has been an area of strong student interest.

So, my question: should I adopt a main textbook or not?  If so, are there any in particular that people have found recently to be especially good or to be avoided?  I will have students reading some primary materials, too, of course.

I get mixed responses from students when I ask if they would prefer textbooks to help provide guidance and structure and accessible descriptions/explanations of the relevant scholarly literature, or if they would prefer a series of topical readings from a range of sources (delivered by our LMS).  Many of our students are quite price-sensitive when it comes to course books and materials.  As a state university focused on undergraduate education (we have masters programs but no doctoral programs), we have students from a diversity of backgrounds, often first in family to attend higher education.  My own experience is that many of the students have learned to use and rely on textbooks, and sometimes they feel anxious without one to help them integrate the various subtopics.  But at the same time, those textbooks tend to get rather pricey.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

-RJS

For the sake of others (and yourself):
- wear a mask around others;
- keep a 6’ distance (or greater);
- keep washing your hands frequently.

Richard J. Senghas, Ph.D.
Professor, Anthropology
SSU Statewide Senator, Academic Senate, California State University
Sonoma State University
1801 East Cotati Avenue
Rohnert Park, CA 94928-3609
senghas[at]sonoma.edu