[Linganth] New literature on COVID-19 & SARS from a ling anthro perspective

Steve Black stevepblack at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 14:10:52 UTC 2021

Hi Ignasi and all,
Ignasi, great idea! I am actually just finishing up an Anthropology News SLA section news piece on just this topic, which should be available online by March maybe? (I’ll be sure to share when it becomes available). In the meantime, here are some of the pieces I’ve collected that appear in the section news piece, in addition to the two you mention. Some of these are pre-pandemic pieces that are relevant, and then there have been a few other pieces published specifically about COVID-19.

- Brada (2017). “Exemplary or Exceptional? The Production and Dismantling of Global Health in Botswana.” In Herrick and Reubi (eds.), Global Health and Geographical Imaginaries. New York: Routledge: 40-53.
- Briggs (2017). “Toward Communicative Justice in Health.” Medical Anthropology 36(4): 287-304.
- Briggs (2005). “Communicability, Racial Discourse, and Disease.” Annual Review of Anthropology 34: 269-291.
- Katila, Gan, and Goodwin (2020). “Interaction Rituals and ‘Social Distancing’: New Haptic Trajectories and Touching from a Distance in the Time of COVID-19.” Discourse Studies 22(4): 418-440.
- Zhang and Li (eds.) (2020) Linguistic Diversity in a Time of Crisis: Language Challenges of the COVID-19 Pandemic. A Special issue of Multilingua 39:5 (with 12 articles in it).
- 4 commentaries (one by Black [that’s me], one by Chun, and one by Du, plus one by the journal editors) in a special forum for Language, Culture, and Society 2(2).