[Linganth] New book: Narrating Stance, Morality, and Political Identity

Lauren Zentz laurenzentz at gmail.com
Wed May 26 16:42:07 UTC 2021

Hi all,
 I'd like to announce the release of my new book, *Narrating Stance,
Morality, and Political Identity: Building a Movement on Facebook*. A book
description is below, and you can find more info here:
https://www.routledge.com/Narrating-Stance-Morality-and-Political-Identity-Building-a-Movement/Zentz/p/book/9780367776411

This book offers unique insights into the use of Facebook after the 2016 US
presidential election, interrogating how users in private groups draw on
individual experiences in movement building and identity construction while
also critically reflecting on ethnographic practices around social media.

The volume draws on the author’s own involvement in a specific Facebook
group focused around activism and community organizing in Texas following
the 2016 US presidential election. Chapters draw on the frameworks of
"small stories" and "stance" to unpack the ways in which group members use
parts of their individual stories to signal beliefs to others, present
themselves in relation to the group, and signal virtues of moral authority
on various pressing political issues. Building on these analyses, Zentz
goes on to address ways in which the scales of politics are being navigated
and modified at the grassroots level in our highly networked world. This
book contributes to ongoing conversations about the realities of internet
use within linguistic anthropology and new media studies, and how
researchers might seek to account for social media use and access to this
data as these technologies develop further.

This book is key reading for students and scholars in linguistic
anthropology, media studies, and activism and social movement studies.

Lauren Zentz
she/her/hers
Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics
Department of English
Affiliate Faculty in Anthropology
Department of Comparative Cultural Studies
University of Houston

Forthcoming book:
*Narrating Stance, Morality, and Political Identity:  Building a Movement
on Facebook
<https://www.routledge.com/Narrating-Stance-Morality-and-Political-Identity-Building-a-Movement/Zentz/p/book/9780367776411>*
Routledge Studies in Narrative, Interaction and Discourse
<https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Research-in-Narrative-Interaction-and-Discourse/book-series/RRNID>

Check out my other book, too:
*Statehood, Scale and Hierarchy: History, Language and Identity in
Indonesia <http://bit.ly/LaurenZentz-Book>*
Encounters Series
<https://www.multilingual-matters.com/page/series-results/encounters/>
Multilingual Matters