[Linganth] Announcing a new text: Metalinguistic Communities

Harasta, Jesse O. joharasta at cazenovia.edu
Tue Oct 5 15:25:23 UTC 2021

Colleagues,
I apologize for the second email - but I forgot to include the table of contents for the text Metalinguistic Communities: Case Studies of Agency, Ideology and Symbolic Uses of Language.

Chapter 1 Exploring Agency, Ideology, and Semiotics of Language across Communities by Netta Avineri and Jesse Harasta

Part One: Language Defining Belonging

2    Contested Hebrew: Ethnolinguistic Infusion and Metalinguistic Communities in U.S.

Jewish Complementary Schools by Netta Avineri, Sarah Bunin Benor, and Nicki Greninger

3    "Anyone who speaks just a little bit of Náhuat knows she's only babbling..." :

Metapragmatic discourses on proficiency in the Náhuat language revitalization (El Salvador) by Quentin Boitel

4    Intimate Politics and Language Revitalization in Veneto, Northern Italy by Sabina

Perrino

                5    Metalinguistic discourse and 'Grenglish' in narratives of return migration by Jennifer

Sclafani and Alexander Nikolaou

Part Two:  Language Combating Erasure

6    Where the Language Appears, We Also Appear: Tehuelche Language Reclamation in

Patagonia by Javier Domingo

7    Utilization of Ethnolinguistic Infusion in the Construction of a Trifurcated

Metalinguistic Community: An Example from the Kernewek (Cornish) language of Britain by Jesse Harasta

                8    Retaking Hãhãhãe: Revitalization and Reindigenization in a Context of Indigenous

Erasure by Jessica Fae Nelson

 Part Three: Language Negotiating Hegemony

                9    'I didn't know it was a language back then': The ideological value of recognition

among Gallo advocates in Brittany by Sandra Keller

10    Raciolinguistic Ideologies of Spanish Speakers in a California Child Welfare Court by

Jessica López-Espino

11    The historical tie that binds: Deploying Kurdish to index ownership, authenticity,

collective memory, and distinction within Kawaguchi's Kurdish metalinguistic community by Anne Schluter

Chapter 12 Reclamation and Metalinguistic Communities by Wesley Y. Leonard