[Linganth] Upcoming Wenner-Gren webinar: Beyond Extractivism

Donna Auston donna.auston at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 13:33:04 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Please join us for the final installment in our wonderful webinar series, “Beyond Extractivism: Toward New Collaborative Futures in Anthropology” which will take place on November 4, 2021 from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM EDT. This conversation is a part of the “Toward a Radically Humanist Anthropology” series of conversations created by Deb Thomas and Kamari Clarke, and has been hosted in collaboration with the Association of Black Anthropologists, Anthropology Southern Africa, and the Center for Experimental Ethnography. The previous sessions can be viewed here on Wenner-Gren’s Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/wennergrenfoundation <https://vimeo.com/wennergrenfoundation>

Program description:

This webinar explores collaborative knowledge production in relation to a stance of responsibility and accountability to the communities with whom we work (including scholarly communities), and to the communities that surround our institutional spaces, cities, territories and regions. What kind of anthropology emerges when collaboration, rather than individualist extraction is upheld as a model?

Panelists:

Carmen Rial, PhD, Professor, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina

Ndukuyakhe Ndlovu, PhD, Manager for Archaeology at South African National Parks and Senior Lecturer at the University of Pretoria

Yasmeen Arif, PhD, Professor, Shiv Nadar University

Christen Smith, PhD, Associate Professor, University of Texas at Austin

Justin Hosbey, PhD, Assistant Professor, Emory University

Moderated by:

Gustavo Lins Ribeiro, PhD, Professor, Metropolitan Autonomous University

CART captioning will be provided.

Hosted by the Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research

Organized by the Association of Black Anthropologists, Anthropology Southern Africa, and the Center for Experimental Ethnography

To register for this event, click here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MH3FxK8LQcWiPR3nCPKKeg <https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MH3FxK8LQcWiPR3nCPKKeg>

Best,

Donna