[Linganth] Welcome to the EASA Linguistic Anthropology Network

Graan, Andrew andrew.graan at helsinki.fi
Wed Sep 1 18:14:43 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Are you a linguistic anthropologist who lives, works, or researches in Europe? Then please consider participating in the EASA Linguistic Anthropology Network (ELAN)<https://easaonline.org/networks/elan/>.  Founded in 2018, ELAN fosters a space for information sharing and collaboration among scholars interested in linguistic anthropology and related fields.  ELAN also seeks to promote linguistic anthropological research and teaching across European academic institutions.  As our name suggests, ELAN is an official network of the European Association of Social Anthropologists<https://easaonline.org/networks/elan/>.

Subscribe to the ELAN Listserv
It’s free and easy to join ELAN.  Simply sign up for our mailing list and monthly email digest at: http://lists.easaonline.org/listinfo.cgi/elan-easaonline.org. The email digest compiles information on the latest news, events, job openings, and publications related to linguistic anthropology.

You can also follow ELAN on Facebook at: facebook.com/elan.easa<http://facebook.com/elan.easa>

Participate in the ELAN Works-In-Progress Workshop
Now in its second year, the ELAN work-in-progress workshop facilitates monthly online meetings for ELAN members to share and discuss pre-circulated works-in-progress with like-minded colleagues from across Europe and beyond. Interested scholars are welcome and encouraged to participate in workshop discussions.  It is a wonderful way to stay abreast of the field, to meet and support colleagues, and to receive feedback on your own writing.

A few presentation slots are still available in winter/spring 2022.  So, if you have an article or chapter draft that you'd like to workshop with sympathetic peers, SIGN UP for the monthly ELAN Works-In-Progress Workshop: https://docs.google.com/.../1t.../edit<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t-UeFI6bFoGbdVPuvze92KIWafwT-02aBdyD-zH-RvU/edit?fbclid=IwAR0NHlXylBLU1iBL3O6h49ZL0cetQM3Z3ktMGhVF3JS5qjiZ1I6zAT3ELVU>

Save the Date – An ELAN Discussion of “Signs of Difference,” Talking with Susan Gal
The 2021-22 workshop opens on Thursday, 9 September, at 4pm GMT+1/London with a special session: a discussion of Susan Gal and Judith Irvine’s important new book, Signs of Difference: Language and Ideology in Social Life.  We are pleased to announce that author Dr. Susan Gal will be joining us for the conversation!

All are welcome to participate.  Attendees should read the Introductory chapter of the book before the discussion but they are welcome to read further!  Should you have difficulty accessing the chapter please send an email to the workshop coordinator, Dr. Lijing Peng, at sunnyleaf1984 at gmail.com<mailto:sunnyleaf1984 at gmail.com>. Zoom meeting information will be posted our Facebook page<https://www.facebook.com/events/316682913591534> and also emailed to all ELAN members through the ELAN listserv.

Be in Touch
Do you have questions about ELAN?  Do you have news that you would like to share? You can contact us at: elan.easa at gmail.com<mailto:elan.easa at gmail.com>

Best wishes,
Andrew Graan, PhD
University of Helsinki
Researcher in Social and Cultural Anthropology
Communications Coordinator, EASA Linguistic Anthropology Network