[Linganth] CaMP anthropology blog

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 14:54:00 UTC 2022

Dear Colleagues,
Some of you are starting to think about the start of the new academic year,
so I thought now might be a good time to
write and ask for your help with the CaMP anthropology blog.

CaMP anthropology has a big tent philosophy, I figure that there are enough
effective gatekeeping and sorting venues in
anthropology that it might be good to complement these with a forum with a
different ethos.  I am happy to have
all academic books in our areas of interest discussed on the blog, and all
Phd dissertations.

Here is a list of what members of our community can do to keep the blog
going
all email should be sent to* igershon at rice.edu <igershon at rice.edu>*:

I would like to have a discussion on the blog of every dissertation in
linguistic anthropology and sociolinguistics, media anthropology,
and performance studies on the blog.   If you have recently completed a
dissertation, or have a student who
has recently completed a dissertation, let me know and I will send an
invitation to take the page 99 test.

If you would like to do an author interview for the CaMP anthropology blog
for a recently published book (2020, 2021, or 2022)
please let me know.

If you are teaching a graduate class, and would like all the students to do
an author interview as an assignment -- this has
worked fairly well in the past.  Here is a glimpse into the logistics:

What students do -- go to a Google doc (I will send you the link) and see
if the book they want to read has already been claimed.   If they want
suggestions for books to read, they can always look at my list.  But I am
very happy to have them choose a book not on the list as long as it has
been published in 2019 or later.    They should let me know what book they
are doing, so I can mark on the list that the book has been claimed.

They can ask the press to get a free copy of the book.  And then they email
the author with 4-5 questions
that encourage the author to talk about some of the more interesting
arguments in the book.  The
author interview should end up being around 1,500 - 1,800 words, with a bit
of flexibility.

Thank you for all the many ways you have all been supporting the blog since
2016,
Ilana