[Linganth] What Proust Heard

Michael LUCEY mlucey at berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 24 01:56:56 UTC 2022

Dear LA friends,

It's very gratifying to announce that my new book, What Proust Heard: Novels and the Ethnography of Talk, is now available from the University of Chicago Press. I couldn't have written this book had I not encountered the work of many linguistic anthropologists; conversations with a good number of you -- and especially Michael Silverstein -- had a major impact on how this project developed.

Here is a brief description:

> What happens when we talk? This deceptively simple question is central to Marcel Proust’s monumental novel In Search of Lost Time. Both Proust’s narrator and the novel that houses him devote considerable energy to investigating not just what people are saying or doing when they talk, but also what happens socioculturally through their use of language. Proust, in other words, is interested in what linguistic anthropologists call language-in-use.
>
> Michael Lucey elucidates Proust’s approach to language-in-use in a number of ways: principally in relation to linguistic anthropology, but also in relation to speech act theory, and to Pierre Bourdieu’s sociology. The book also includes an interlude after each of its chapters that contextualizes Proust’s social-scientific practice of novel writing in relation to that of a number of other novelists, earlier and later, and from several different traditions, including Honoré de Balzac, George Eliot, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Virginia Woolf, Nathalie Sarraute, and Rachel Cusk. Lucey is thus able to show how, in the hands of quite different novelists, various aspects of the novel form become instruments of linguistic anthropological analysis. The result introduces a different way of understanding language to literary and cultural critics and explores the consequences of this new understanding for the practice of literary criticism more generally.

For anyone who is interested, using the code UCPLIT on the Press’s website (https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/W/bo130500168.html <https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/W/bo130500168.html>) will provide you with a 20% discount.

Thanks for your kind attention.

Michael Lucey
________________________________
Michael Lucey (he/him)
Sidney and Margaret Ancker Chair in the Humanities
Distinguished Professor of Comparative Literature and French
4125 Dwinelle Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-2580

Someone: The Pragmatics of Misfit Sexualities, <https://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/S/bo34094381.html>