[Linganth] ELAN- workshop Invitation, February 10, 2022. Steve Coleman: The Rhetoric of Máirtín Ó Cadhain: Key Tropes in Interrogating the Views and Policies of the Irish State

Jing sunnyleaf1984 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 12:15:37 UTC 2022

Dear colleagues,

On February 10, 2022 EASA Linguistic Anthropology Network (ELAN) will host
a workshop to discuss a linguistic anthropology research on an Irish
language writer, who is a key figure in modern Irish history. It is my
great pleasure to invite you to join this meeting. The paper is written
by Dr. Steve Coleman from Maynooth University. Dr. Mary Scoggin (Humboldt
State University) will act as discussant for the paper.

If you are interested in attending this meeting, please email Lijing Peng
through sunnyleaf1984 at gmail.com for a copy of this paper.

Here is the abstract of this paper:

*Sí Teanga na Mintier a Shlánós an Mhuintir : Ó Cadhain, Rhetoric and
Immanence* (by Steve Coleman)

This paper examines the rhetoric of Máirtín Ó Cadhain (1906–70), an
Irish-language writer and activist. Ó Cadhain developed a few key tropes in
Irish-language expression—“dead,” “live,” and “clay”—to reveal a series of
analogies that he used to interrogate the views and policies of the Irish
state and its cultural, intellectual, and political representatives. His
writing and oratory drew its power from its use of these key figures to
effect a reversal of perspective in terms of what we see as “living” and
“dead” in Irish social, cultural, and political life. Cré (“clay”)
functioned as a key trope for Ó Cadhain, standing for sociality itself—the
language and social life of people, especially the Western, Irish-speaking
lower classes. “Clay” was also the soil they are formed by, soil that is
largely man-made in many communities where Irish is spoken. I suggest that,
like our bodies and the clay they return to, tropes have this quality
because they are made of the same stuff as ourselves. Ó Cadhain’s poetics
point to a radical immanence within human sociality, and I argue that this
is the stance from which his interventions gain their power.

Please do not circulate the paper outside the workshop.