[Linganth] Fwd: Visiting Assistant Professor in Medical Anthropology (2022-2023; potential for renewal)

Jennifer Guzman guzman at geneseo.edu
Thu Jul 28 01:35:57 UTC 2022

Linguistic anthropology colleagues,

My department is looking to hire a medical anthropologist as a visiting
assistant professor. I am hoping there will be some of you who fit
this criteria, as well as having expertise in language. Please see below
for details and don't hesitate to reach out to me with questions.

The Department of Anthropology at SUNY Geneseo (located 40 minutes from
downtown Rochester, NY) is hiring a Visiting Assistant Professor in Medical
Anthropology. The VAP will be responsible for teaching *(in-person)* a 9
credit per semester load of undergraduate courses that includes two
sections of a capstone research course for the department's
interdisciplinary major in sociomedical sciences (Fall), and two sections
of an upper-level Medical Anthropology seminar and one section of an upper
level Global Health course (Spring). There will also be the opportunity to
teach online courses during the winter intersessions (January) and summers
for additional salary. The VAP will be required to advise and mentor
undergraduate students and contribute to department service.

This appointment is for a one-year contract with possible renewal. The
appointment will have a start date of September 1 (preferable) or January
23, 2023.

 Required Qualifications:

   - Ph.D. in Anthropology with a focus on medical anthropology
   - Record of undergraduate teaching experience
   - Experience, ability, and demonstrated commitment to cultivating
   learning environments that are equitable and inclusive of students from
   diverse backgrounds and social identities.

Preferred Qualifications:

   - Experience supervising undergraduate student research

Please email Jennifer Guzmán (guzman at geneseo.edu) and Melanie A. Medeiros (
medeiros at geneseo.edu) with a copy of your CV to express your interest in
being considered for the position. We invite emails with questions or
requests for more information as well.

Melanie A. Medeiros, Ph.D.
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Department of Anthropology
SUNY Geneseo
Phone: 585-245-6269
Email: medeiros at geneseo.edu
Author of *Marriage, Divorce and Distress in Northeast Brazil: Black
Women's Perspectives on Love, Respect, and Kinship*
<https://www.rutgersuniversitypress.org/marriage-divorce-and-distress-in-northeast-brazil/9780813588230>

--
Jennifer R. Guzmán, PhD (she/her/hers/*ella*)
Associate Professor of Anthropology

The Department of Anthropology acknowledges that SUNY Geneseo stands within
the historic homeland of the Onöndowa’ga:’ of the Six Nations of
Haudenosaunee, now of the Seneca Nation of Indians (New York); Tonawanda
Band of Seneca (New York); Seneca-Cayuga Nation (Oklahoma); and Six Nations
of the Grand River (Ontario).