[Linganth] Instructor Needed for 2 Undergraduate Courses in Linguistic Anthropology, Fall 2022 - Sonoma State University

Richard J. Senghas senghas at sonoma.edu
Mon Jun 20 16:38:48 UTC 2022

The Department of Anthropology at Sonoma State University seeks an instructor to teach one or both of two undergraduate courses in linguistic anthropology for the Fall 2022 semester, beginning 22 August.  (Our colleague who had been scheduled to cover these courses has just recently accepted a tenure-track line at a nearby college, for which we are happy, but also provides this unanticipated need.)

Applicants must be able to address formal linguistics (phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics) as well as pragmatics with an anthropological focus.  PhD. preferred, but ABD candidates may be considered, depending on experience.

The two courses are scheduled to be taught in-person at SSU’s campus (a California State University) in Rohnert Park, CA, 36 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge in the North Bay Area of Northern California.  At this point, we do *not* expect to be able to offer the sections remotely.

ANTH 200 Introduction to the Study of Language is a lower-division, general education course with an enrollment of 50, scheduled for Mondays and Wednesdays, 9:30-10:45AM.  This introduction to the anthropological study of language surveys core topics in linguistics (e.g., phonetics, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics) and the relationship of language to social, cultural, and psychological factors. Nonverbal communication, evolution of language abilities, and historical linguistics are included, with linkages to the other subfields of anthropology. Satisfies GE Area C2 (Literature, Philosophy, Languages).

ANTH 383 Language in Sociopolitical Context  is an upper-division undergraduate major course with an enrollment of 25-30, scheduled for Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:00-4:40PM.  Focus is on such topics as language attitudes, political power and linguistic equality, language and sociopolitical institutions, and language planning. Practical introduction to the insights offered by discourse analysis to the study of language varieties reflected in particular geographical regions, and by members of particular social classes/groups.  (This course is intentionally timed to coincide with the US midterm election cycle.)

Applicants should send a current curriculum vitae and a cover letter highlighting relevant teaching experience to anthro at sonoma.edu.  All questions may also be directed to that same address.  For more information about our department and its programs, please see our website <http://anthropology.sonoma.edu/>.

- RIchard J. Senghas, Chair, Department of Anthropology

Richard J. Senghas, Ph.D.
Professor & Chair, Anthropology
SSU Statewide Senator, Academic Senate, California State University
Sonoma State University
1801 East Cotati Avenue
Rohnert Park, CA 94928-3609
senghas at sonoma.edu