[Linganth] ‘No One at School Can Speak Pangcah’: Family Language Policy in an Indigenous Home in Taiwan

Kerim Friedman oxusnet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 11:22:00 UTC 2022

Dear Linganth Members,

Forgive me for a bit of self-promotion, but because this article was
published in a Taiwan Studies journal and not a linguistic anthropology
journal, I wanted to bring it to everyone's attention. I wrote it together
with my PhD student, Sifo Lakaw and I'm very pleased with how it turned
out.

Cheers,

kerim

‘No One at School Can Speak Pangcah’: Family Language Policy in an
Indigenous Home in Taiwan

Olic is one of the only members of her generation to be raised speaking
Pangcah (Amis) as her first language. Through an exploration of how one
family is fighting to save this endangered Austronesian language, we
analyse the challenges facing Indigenous language revitalisation in Taiwan.
Particular attention is paid to the child’s transition from the home to
formal—Mandarin-medium—schooling. In doing so, we draw on recent work that
emphasises the agency of children in shaping family language policy (also
referred to as ‘family language planning’). How do children’s experiences
at school shape their—and other family members’—linguistic behaviour at
home? After comparing Taiwan’s current family language policy to similar
efforts elsewhere, we conclude by arguing that taking children’s agency
seriously means that family language policy must be combined with changes
in formal schooling as well—changes that are best implemented by the
Indigenous communities themselves.

https://brill.com/view/journals/ijts/aop/article-10.1163-24688800-20221237/article-10.1163-24688800-20221237.xml

--

P. Kerim Friedman 傅可恩

http://kerim.oxus.net/

Professor, Dept. of Ethnic Relations & Cultures

College of Indigenous Studies

National Dong Hwa University, TAIWAN

國立東華大學原住民民族學院

族群關係與文化學系教授