[Linganth] IPrA Brussels July 23: Call for Papers

Jacqueline Messing jmessing at umd.edu
Fri Oct 7 15:00:31 UTC 2022

Colleagues,

We have two presenter slots available on our accepted panel for the IPrA
International Pragmatics conference in Brussels in July 2023. The
conference theme is “The shape of interaction: the pragmatics of
(a)typicality” https://pragmatics.international/page/Specialtheme2023

This is a hybrid conference, and we hope to have at least one additional
in-person attendee on the panel. Reply to jmessing at umd.edu and
kathe.managan at louisiana.edu to express interest. We need your draft
abstract no later than *Monday, October 24*, and final abstracts by October
30.

Best,

Jacqui & Kathe

<https://twitter.com/>

*Panel Abstract*

*Stance-taking, differentiation and (a)typicality in discourse: Ideologies
of language, personhood, and competence in multilingual and multigendered
communities*

This panel will examine scalar notions of typicality and a-typicality
through an analysis of narrative, performance and discourse data we have
each collected as part of ethnographic observation. Our fieldwork has
included qualitative interviews and recordings of socially-occurring
interaction and public performance, both in real life and online (during
the pandemic). We will focus on ideologies of language, personhood, and
competence in multilingual and multigendered communities across differing
cultural contexts. We explore stance-taking in interaction,
differentiation, and other pragmatic strategies that speakers use to
compare and position themselves and others with respect to contested
notions of typicality and a-typicality. Speakers in our field sites
participate in local pragmatics and sometimes contest ideological stances
through position-taking towards goals of seeming more or less “local,”
“Indigenous/non-Indigenous,” “Native/Non-Native English Student,”
“gender-neutral,” “old-fashioned” or “traditional,” “modern” or “diverse.”

In each field site, discourses of gender, race, discrimination, modernity
and expertise circulate through the nation-state and communities at
multiple scalar levels (Irvine & Gal 2019). Our analyses will consider:
What constitutes a “pragmatic a/typicality” in communities where
Kreyol/French, Nahuatl/Spanish, Hebrew, and Non-Native Englishes are
spoken? How do ideologies of linguistic purism affect bilingualism, and
invented language such as Hebrew pronoun shifts to foster gender equality?
How do ideologies of native/non-native English speaker categories shape
interactions between international design students?

Papers:

1. Avital Karpman, School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures,
University of Maryland-College Park

Language change from the bottom up: Nonbinary gender inclusion and the
democratization of Hebrew language learning

2. Kathe Managan, Department of Anthropology, University of Louisiana at
Lafayette

Metapragmatic commentary and stance-taking in Guadeloupean Comedy

3. Jacqueline Messing, Department of Anthropology, University of
Maryland-College Park

Nahuatl, indigeneity and narrative stance-taking in conversations about
bilingual schooling in Mexico

4. Leslie Moore and Minseok Choi, Departments of Teaching & Learning, and
Linguistics, Ohio State University

Epistemic stance-taking and advice giving in collaborative planning in an
architectural design studio

Kathe Managan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, Linguistic Anthropology

Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Child and Family Studies

Mouton 109B

University of Louisiana at Lafayette

kathe.managan at louisiana.edu <kathe.managan1 at louisiana.edu>

https://louisiana.academia.edu/KatheManagan