[Linganth] Spinning a Better Yarn: Decolonising Linguistics study group - A/Prof Jenny L. Davis 19th October (USA)/ 20th October (AUS)

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 22:58:01 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

I would like to publicise this upcoming session of our group - the first
one at a US-friendly time. Our group is run by a committee of two
Indigenous Australian linguists and two non-Indigenous Australian linguists
(including myself). It is a Zoom seminar series, reading group and
discussion group which privileges the voices of Indigenous linguists,
musicologists and anthropologists.

Cheers,
Ruth

Find out more about our group and view past and upcoming sessions on our
website:
https://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/ialr/decolonising-linguistics-spinning-a-better-yarn/2022-meetings/
Recordings of presentations with an edited English transcript:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAPSm4ftmOW7FfxhvMN5OLA

Spinning a Better Yarn: Decolonising linguistics study group
   Wednesday, 19th October 5pm (PDT), 8pm (EDT)Thursday, 20th October 11am
(AEDT), 10 am (AEST)

*Repatriation, Continuous Consent, and Collaboration: **Ethical
considerations for working with Indigenous languages in archives &
databases*

*Jenny L. Davis, Chickasaw Nation, Associate Professor of Anthropology &
American Indian Studies
<https://dynamicsoflanguage.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ab40e6e405ba2e978356b0bae&id=2bf41a5ff9&e=f3627acd5d>
and
Director, American Indian Studies, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign*

How do we engage with archived collections and linguistic databases that
were created within a different set of ethics than those that we now hold,
or when we do not know the ethics of how they were collected? How do we
address the gaps between what may be considered the best
practices—currently or in a previous moment—in a field of research, and
those held by the community/ies from which the collection comes? A growing
body of research addresses the options and strategies for collecting data
or conducting research within Indigenous communities in ways that are
grounded in ethical practice. Framed under the rubrics of collaborative,
engaged, activist, community-based, and Indigenous methods, these
discussions represent an exciting opportunity to move our field(s) away
from the violent and colonial research methods established under historical
and ongoing colonial frameworks. But, they are largely limited to those who
are actively doing language documentation and description work themselves.
In a largely unconnected field of practice, that of repatriation (or
rematriation) of Indigenous Ancestral remains and Indigenous material
collections, guidelines have emerged that center/require consultation with
Native nations and descendant communities around access, research, and
display of collections from Indigenous communities (Consultation). This
talk brings together best practices across collaborative research models
for language documentation, consultation procedures in repatriation, and
data sovereignty models which require ongoing consent to propose ethics and
strategies for engaging with Native American and Indigenous language
databases and archival materials.

*Join via Zoom:*
https://unimelb.zoom.us/j/85322668807?pwd=QzJXUFRtMWNuVWdnczg1K2hZdVhNZz09
<https://dynamicsoflanguage.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ab40e6e405ba2e978356b0bae&id=02d7d10e9a&e=f3627acd5d>