[Linganth] TEACHING RESOURCE/UNDERGRAD CLASS PROJECT IDEAS

Elizabeth Keating Elizabeth.Keating at austin.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 20 10:07:22 UTC 2022

TEACHING RESOURCE/CLASS PROJECT IDEA
Dear Linganthers,

I just got an email from my university bookstore about ordering books for next semester, and I wanted to let people know about a book coming out November 15th that you might find useful for an undergraduate class project. The book builds on a class project that I developed for my students at the University of Texas Austin. They really loved the project (one of the reasons I wrote the book); one student even said it was the best project of his university classes. The title is The Essential Questions: Interview Your Family to Uncover Stories and Bridge Generations.

Using categories an anthropologist would be interested in like space, time, interaction, socialization, body adornment, belief, kinship, identity and material culture, the book invites readers (e.g. students) to use an anthropological approach to interviewing their own grandparent or elderly relative about the past. The idea is to elicit a personal account of a world and a person's experience in it in a time when their grandparents were growing up. There are tips on interviewing, too.

The sub title of the book alludes to what students kept reporting, that they found they made a deeper connection with their grandparents, and they found out things they never knew about and never would have thought to ask. UT Austin is a diverse student community, so from my perspective as a teacher, I learned fascinating aspects of growing up many world communities. I've had some great testimonials from other authors who've praised the book. As linguistic anthropologists we know that languages are disappearing, but much more knowledge of our pasts is, too.
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/690817/the-essential-questions-by-elizabeth-keating-phd/
(exam copies can be ordered from Penguin Random House https://cart.penguinrandomhouse.com/education/exam-copies/ after 11/15; ISBN is 9780593420928).

Apologies for the longish email. I'm passionate about the potential of building better communication across generations and groups, and how well it works to take the perspective of an anthropologist.
Best wishes for all your teaching,

Elizabeth

ELIZABETH KEATING, Professor of Anthropology & Graduate Faculty, Human Dimensions of Organizations
The University of Texas at Austin | Department of Anthropology | 512-471-8518
https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/anthropology/faculty/elk612
https://elizabeth-keating.com/
https://hdo.utexas.edu/<https://hdo.utexas.edu/ma/>