[Linganth] new IB course and a chance to earn a few bucks using your linganth knowledge

Laura Ahearn ahearn8 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 14:04:06 UTC 2023

Dear Linganth Friends,

Over the past couple of years, I've been advising the International
Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) as they've been creating a new Language
and Culture course that is partly based on my *Living Language* book. The
course will be offered as a pilot in 25 high schools around the world in
September. To prepare, the IBO is looking for undergrads or early graduate
students to create sample responses to possible final exam questions and
will pay $110 for an estimated five hours of work.

If you're interested, please see below for more information and contact
Camelia Constantinescu directly at camelia.constantinescu at ibo.org.

Thanks!

Laura Ahearn

*Call for contributors: creating student sample exam papers*

The Language and Culture course is a new course offered in the
International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP), an academic
programme for students aged 16-19.

The course is based on cross-disciplinary studies which draw from
linguistics and social and cultural anthropology, engages with questions
like how the linguistic and cultural practices we engage in help shape our
identities and how do we in turn, both individually and collectively, help
bring about change in these linguistic and cultural practices. It focuses
on the complex interactions between individuals, societies, languages and
cultures. It proposes an examination of language not as a neutral medium
for communication but rather as a set of socially embedded practices.
Through the exploration of central concepts such as identity, context,
power and change, the course invites students to examine ways in which
language both shapes and is shaped by cultural practices and values, as
well as by social power dynamics.

We are currently testing the assessment model of the course and aiming to
create examples of exam papers (scripts) that we would expect students to
produce at the end of the course.

Estimated time commitment: approx. 5 hours (including guidance, writing of
the paper etc.). The time will be spread out over several days and will be
completed virtually.

Fee: $110 USD

We invite your expression of interest at camelia.constantinescu at ibo.org